Gloria Henriquez, Honduras, Washed
PEAR. FUDGY CARAMEL. CACAO. CHICKS DIG IT.
Producer: Gloria Henriquez
Region: Mercedes, Ocotepeque
Farm: Finca Los Nances, FTO Certified.
Variety: Lempira and IHCAFE 90
Altitude: 1220 Masl
Pre-PEAR to get fruity and fabulous with the Glorious Gloria! This chic(k) coffee is all sweet, spiced pears and that is as juicy as you are (we see you!). This baby has blown us away brewed up every which way, but we’re particularly partial to the V60 method that’s delivered us a caramel heavy cup with cardamom, cinnamon and pome perfection. Our favourite recipe can be found below.
Gloria Henriquez is a 4th generation coffee producer and owner of FTO certified farm Los Nances. She has a wealth of experience working on coffee farms having first started by watching her grandparents work on their farm as a child.
“The new generation of coffee growers laugh at me when I tell them about the way we worked in the old days, but I see my experience and wealth of knowledge, even if from another era, as an advantage” Gloria says.
In 2013, disaster struck when her farm was ruthlessly hit by rust. Gloria was close to despair. With no income and very little money for food, she went into debt. Little by little she pulled herself out of that deep hole and decided to diversify. Nowadays she holds over 100 free-range, chemical free chickens, which she sells to eateries and her local community. A small but reliable source of income to supplement her coffee production.
Finca Los Nances is only a small farm of just under a hectare, but this year, Gloria, with the help of Cafesmo, has produced high scoring microlots which has convinced her that this is the direction she wants to take, building relationships of trust and close collaboration with one or two roasteries.
We are incredibly grateful to be one of them.
Gloria is also part of the brand new Women’s Association being established by Cafesmo, we can’t wait to see what the women achieve together.
Our favourite way to brew this coffee at the roastery:
We brewed ours at 89°
1. Pre-wet the filter and pre-heat the V60, pour the 22g of coffee in.
2. Tap either side of the V60 to flatten the coffee bed.
3. For the bloom, pour in 66g of water, aiming to have the full 66g in within 5 seconds.
4. Once your 66g of water are in, use a spoon to ‘turn over’ the coffee grounds to ensure there is no dry coffee left in the V60- do this for about 5 seconds, bringing your total brewing time to 10 seconds.
5. When your timer reads 45 seconds, begin pouring in a circular motion, starting in the centre and move outwards. Aim to hit the full amount of 360g within 15/20 seconds (bringing your total brewing time at this point to 1 minute/1.05 minutes).
6. Give the slurry one full stir, aiming to integrate any grinds from around the rim.
6. At 1 minute 45 seconds, it’s time to agitate baby! Give the V60 a good, rigorous spin for around 10 seconds in both directions, with an even number of rotations in both directions- aiming to get a flat, even bed of coffee in the V60.
7. Once your water has completely drained (should be at around 3 minutes), remove the V60 and give the carafe a good swirl and then enjoy that glorious Gloriaaaaahhhhh!